Thursday, November 23, 2006

Nothing like a career shift to readjust one's perception

First, thanks to everyone for your concern. Mrs. FE's doing much better, except for the part of seeing more of me around the house. And I've felt a lot better with regular sleep - forgot what it was like to get seven hours a night.

I've also embarked on a fiction-writing career, or was that my resume? Fourteen years and nine months in the journalism biz. Damn shame, because I enjoyed doing it. I'll cry about it in a few more years, but it still hits hard when you spent that much time in a profession and have to leave it.

After I posted about my new job, I got another offer two days later with better benefits. Being a black-hearted, mercenary sort, I accepted and start next week. If all goes well, next week I'll be getting some of my state tax money back with 34 weeks of paid-tuition programming training starting in January. It's weird having covered all these programs and now to be starting one. Nothing like a workout for one's sense of irony.

And - not having to worry about laying out a weekly paper that draws the scorn of semi-illiterate, hateful, old, pseudo-patriotic blue-haired Daughters of the American Revolution and/or Confederacy - I've been able to let my thoughts wander a bit.

Listening to National Public Radio one morning, I heard a spot on linguistic heritage that reminded me why British aircraft manufacturers have always been far more literate and poetic than their American counterparts.

Case in point: the announcer launched into a brief discussion of the word 'welkin,' which happens to be a derivative of the old English world for cloud. As my synapses are wont to do, they provided a mini-epiphany answering the question I've had for decades - why in hell this was named as it was.

I think even Vicus might agree with me on this one.

I'm going back for another piece of mince pie now. Sorry if I haven't been able to post comments on your pages lately. My version of XP seems to have a twitch in it that keeps some comment pages from opening properly, but I'm overhauling another computer and should have full smartass capability back soon.

23 Comments:

Blogger Divian said...

Mince pie? Spicy right? Never had it myself...I don't really care too much for pie.

There is a side of me that I don't blog about...but you helped inspire me to pursue it in real life. I will be entering the public eye soon locally. Its more political and has to do with civil rights and liberties. But thanks to you, I have found inspiration.

So thanks, FE...now, let's hope I don't get scared!

9:39 PM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

well 'There it 'tis!'
You can't keep a good man down or was that a viagara add...maybe it was a hard man is good to find???

Way to go fronty...reminds me of something Al Pacino said,
"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone." no thats not it..oh yeah
"Just when I thought that I was out THEY PULL ME BACK IN!"

Congratulations.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Awaiting - Always be scared - fear keeps you sharp. I
f someone says they're not scared, they're either lying or a sociopath and should be avoided at all costs.

And if I helped inspire you, God help you!!!. Kidding, but if you're doing it, it was inside you first. Keep me posted on what you're doing . . . please!


As for you HE . . . heheheheh, keep me in line now that I'm about to become a corporate drone >B^D>

10:15 PM  
Blogger WithinWithout said...

Well, well, well, Fronty...

This is fantastic news, although you'll miss being an ink-stained wretch (none of us actually are that any more with the advent of computers and tape recorders, but what the hey).

I didn't get though what your new position will be in the corporate world.

Chomp on more of that minced pie and kick back a bit. Brilliant men are hard to find, as HE almost said.

All the best and stay in touch.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

I stand by the two handsome fellows above...Brilliant men are hard to find. Now, where's my plate!?

10:36 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

must be talking about WW and HE.

Got a plate of sausage stuffing, potators and turkey right here for you

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welkin, as in "Wel, kin you sleep while I am test flying this bastard at night right over your house?".
No, that was the Chinook. As in "Why don cha nuke me and get it all over".

2:15 AM  
Blogger Zig said...

Eating mince pies in November - peasant! ;o)

Welkin is Olde Englishe for those great big black thunder clouds that suddenly drop bucket loads on your head - n'est pas?

Glad all's well chez vous - having been missing your jokes!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fronty, missed out on the drama here. That's got to be the best thing ever losing that mad job of yours.
Good Luck with whatever is up ahead.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Fronty, Fronty fo firley
Bonana fanna fo Fronty
Fee fy fo Fronty,
FRONTY!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

Hey you need to correct your banner..heaven forbid that the blog scientists at blogshares alter your position as my 4th most valuable link!
I cannot for the life of me understand how they arrive at these valuations.
You should be #1 with a bullet!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Best of luck in your new position, whatever it is! BTW, did you find any good advice on resumes? I need to put one together. My retirement can't last forever!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Miss C - besides being creative, I have my handy dandy jump drive stocked with two basic, Word-compatible resumes - a one-pager saying how great I am, where I didn't flunk school, my last five jobs, and 'references available upon request'; and a two-pager with the above, the computer software I can operate for at least five minutes without locking up my computer, and 10 references I can use in full or reduced. I thought of keeping a photo in there, but a shot of Tom Courtenay dressed as Trotsky might not be as funny as I thought it was.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment the other day but it wouldn't save and I ran out of time.

It sounds like you're having a really exciting time. Some of the best things come out of the bleakest moments.

I love people that turn adversity to their advantage and just get back out there and at it. Can't be doing with mopers. xx

I am shaking my pom-poms and high-kicking to HE's chant. Marvel as I finish with the splits :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Cherry - Consider me suitably in awe >B^D>

6:11 PM  
Blogger Alex Pendragon said...

I envy you your grand new adventure! I'm rooting for you! As far as your computor is concerned, wise up and get a Mac! If you insist on running Winblows applications, a Mac will now run XP better than a PeeCee does.......hehe.........but no one whose ever had the pleasure of owning an Imac would stoop to such a level....grin.....

7:05 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Da Mike - despite three pleasant years with Apples at one job, I gotta use PC for the programming courses. A cryin shame . . .

9:46 PM  
Blogger Divian said...

Dang, I'm FULL! Thanks, FE!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

What can i say? >B^D>

6:37 AM  
Blogger lee said...

FE - we have REAL pies out here! :).

5:26 PM  
Blogger Frontier Editor said...

Not implying something there, are you Lee? >;^D>

8:29 AM  
Blogger Miss Cellania said...

We didn't have mince pie this year. I missed it. Will have to do one for Christmas.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

learn nice video site -

[url=http://trailfire.com/amoxil] amoxil [/url]

http://trailfire.com/amoxil
[url=http://trailfire.com/amoxil] amoxil dosing guidelines [/url]

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home